Roller blinds are one of the most useful and versatile window treatment options which offer a perfect fit for nearly all areas. They are heavy-duty, easy to handle, resilient, durable, and can be used for all types of windows and even sliding and patio doors as well. However, it’s equally important to care for them the right way, so that they can last long and provide optimum performance. We provide expert cleaning and maintenance tips for roller blinds.
Regular maintenance practices will ensure the smooth working of your roller window blinds and will also preserve their attractiveness. And if you’re concerned about what are the right ways to care for your roller shades, Curtain And Blinds is here to help you out with the most precise and helpful guide.
How To Upkeep Roller Window Blinds | Favorable Insights And Tips
Up ahead, we’ll be mentioning both the regular maintenance ways and the occasional cleanup methods for roller window shades. This way, you can make the most out of your investment and keep enjoying all the beauty and benefits of your valuable window treatments.
This includes practices that you can do on an everyday basis to keep your roller shades in mint condition and prevent huge and/or irreversible damage.
- Dust your roller blinds with a soft feather duster to get rid of loosened dirt and dust particles.
- Wipe all the slats or panels with a soft and clean Microfiber cloth to maintain the tidy look.
- If you have fabricated roller blinds, you can also make use of a vacuum cleaner’s upholstery attachment brush for effectively getting rid of all the buildup.
- Before vacuuming, open and extend the blind panel fully so that there are no folds and you have a hurdle-free canvas to work on.
- Always move from top to bottom and do ensure cleaning the back side of the panel as well.
These methods and remedies are for the times when your roller shades get subjected to any accidental damages like stains, spills or splashes.
- Make sure to address every sudden damage immediately, as delaying the cleaning and removal will simply result in stubborn stains or marks.
- Try blotting the stain with a soft, damp fabric. Never rub it as doing so will make the stain permanent, instead just lightly dab and blot away the stain and this should do most of the job.
- In case of tough stains, you can make use of a dedicated commercial roller blind cleaner which must be compatible with the fabric type of your blinds.
- Alternatively, you can mix warm water and any mild soap to make a DIY cleaner for the purpose of stain removal.
- For a better scrubbing, get your hands on a soft brush in addition to a microfiber cloth. An old toothbrush can also be used.
This cleaning method should be considered at least twice a month to maintain sleek, attractive and clean window blinds. Moreover, these cleaning tips are so convenient that you don’t need to remove your blinds.
- Start by thoroughly dusting off the blinds to clear out all the dirt and dust particles and prevent excessive mess during the cleaning.
- You can make use of both commercial cleaners or DIY ones for this purpose. An effective DIY cleaning recipe is mixing warm water, soap and a little White Vinegar.
- Dip a clean and soft Microfiber fabric into the cleaning solution, wring it thoroughly and wipe clean the blind panels with it.
- Make sure to proceed by working in smaller sections and pay particular attention to any stained or excessively dirty areas.
- Keep repeating and change the cleaner batch as soon as it becomes dirty or murky.
- Once done, go over the entire panels with another cloth, which should be damped with clear water to get rid of all the soap residue.
- Let the blinds dry completely before you move or roll them again.
This method involves the removal of blinds from the windows to give them a detailed cleaning and disinfecting as well. You can consider doing this once in a while or whenever your blinds seem to be heavily soiled. It will make them stay in perfect condition for years on end.
- Fill a bathtub or other large tub/container with hot water and add in a suitable amount of soap with a neutral pH. You can also add some Vinegar or Baking Soda for added benefits.
- Take the blinds off the headrail and carefully place them in the tub or container. Make sure they are thoroughly submerged in the soapy water.
- Let the blinds stay in the soapy water for a good 15 to 20 minutes.
- At this point you can carry out any required scrubbing with a soft-bristled brush in case you notice any stains or marks.
- After 20 minutes, rinse all the panels with clean running water to clear out all the cleaner residue.
- Finish off by removing the blinds from water and place them on a clean and dry surface for complete drying before installing them back.
Additional Aftercare Tips For Roller Window Blinds
Here are some bonus guidelines which will help you take the best care of your roller shades.
- Do not touch the blinds with dirty or greasy hands.
- Invest in protective treatments to retain the beauty of the blinds.
- If possible, do not install them in areas with direct exposure to harsh sunlight.
- Never get excessively big or long blinds as they can easily get entangled in surrounding objects and become dirty.
- Only buy those cleaners that are designed for the particular fabric type of your roller blinds.
The key to benefitting the most from any and every home decor or improvement product is to ensure careful usage and even thoughtful upkeep practices. Roller window blinds are incredibly popular among homeowners for their endless advantages and flexibility. Therefore, it goes without saying that it’s super important to be aware of all the ways to care for them. We hope for our enlisted Cleaning And Maintenance Tips For Roller Blinds to be maximally helpful for you!